Thursday, February 18, 2010

Me-Ma, I Got Me a Deer

Saturday morning of the Missouri Youth Deer Season, I was busy playing catch up on housework and Court transcripts when I checked my cell phone and I had a missed call and voicemail from my 10-year-old grandson, Waylen.

“Hey, Me-Ma, it’s just Waylen here. I got me a deer! It was pretty hard, 100 yards, in the woods. A pretty good shot. My dad saw it and so I shot it, and it just went ten yards. All right. Bye.” I hope I never lose this voicemail. The enthusiasm in his voice brought tears to my eyes. He was so excited.

Before I got through the entire message, the house phone started ringing and my son’s cell phone number appeared on Caller ID. I knew it was Waylen, he couldn’t wait to let us know he had gotten a deer. Waylen is very explicit to detail and he gave me a play-by-play of everything that happened, repeating much of what he had left in the message.

It doesn't seem like that many years ago that my oldest son, Jared, got his first deer. I'm not sure where the time flew by to, but it is inspiring to see my children taking their children hunting.

This phone call instilled in me, once again, the importance of passing our beloved traditions on to future generations. The knowledge and understanding he gains from hunting and the confidence in his accomplished shooting ability will travel with him throughout his lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment